A PROGRAM OF EXCEL TECC
The Academy for the Performing Arts is a college preparatory program of Excel Technical Education Career Consortium, serving the 9 school districts in the Mayfield Consortium. Excel Tecc offers college preparatory programs within the high school curriculum that keep constant pace with business and industry. The program prepares students for professional employment or continued higher education.
ACADEMY FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS MISSION
To provide talented high school juniors and seniors with a joyful, challenging and inspiring training experience in the theatre; an educational and performance-based experience that builds confidence, courage and mastery in creative self expression preparing students for high-level college and professional opportunities.
Students have the option of choosing the morning or afternoon academy schedule. Work out the best schedule for you with your guidance counselor.
7:30 - 9:45 Juniors
12:30 - 2:20 Seniors I
3:30 - 7:30 Rehearsal (For those students cast in our 8 productions each year)
Each class: 3 credits (1 Related, 2 Lab)
In addition to professional training, students have a myriad of opportunities for performance in fully mounted productions and student plays, along with classes and workshops led by working guest artists from the professional theatre.
The Academy offers two-tracks of training:
- Performance Track - For actors, directors, singers, dancers, choreographers and playwrights
- Technical Track
- For Set, costume, lighting and sound designers. For technical directors, stage managers, and all backstage skills required in the professional theatre.
The Academy for the Performing Arts is an accredited, half day program under the umbrella of northeast Ohio's Mayfield Consortium (Excel Tecc), a group of 9 school systems that include Aurora, Beachwood, Chagrin Falls, Mayfield, Orange, Richmond Heights, Solon, South Euclid-Lyndhurst and West Geauga. The Academy is a college preparatory program that inspires character development and self discovery in students through the challenge of creativity.
The training students will encounter at the Academy will challenge them to know themselves as creative and imaginative individuals. The discoveries and procedures essential to creativity on the stage, are equally vital to all human beings in their daily lives. The courage to create, the confidence to stand calmly before others in stressful situations, the facility to be expressive, the sense of play that makes one young at heart, the wisdom to see the big picture, the rare and essential skill to communicate clearly, the sensitivity to find meaning in relationships and the business of life - these are all real-world benefits of the training at the Academy. At the Academy, we believe creativity in itself is an end. Because by mastering it, the student develops an expansiveness of self and a thriving confidence that can affect and change the world.
- To provide a comprehensive, pre-professional course of study in all aspects theatre, from literature, theatre technique and history to design and technical theatre, to acting and actual performance.
- To create challenging performance and technical theatre opportunities for students to demonstrate acquired skills in the new Performing Arts Center and drama wing. The Academy mounts 7 or 8 full length plays each year including plays from many styles of the world theatre - from classical, restoration, modern European theatre, American theatre and Musical Theatre. In addition, seniors produce and direct a series of shows in the Studio theatre for their Senior Projects.
- To provide professional, visionary leadership by prominent performing arts educators and professional with strong ties to the regional theatre, university system and other professional performing arts venue
- Employ professional artists / teachers and outstanding, highly credentialed faculty
- Prepare students for post secondary education in the performing arts and related subjects; assisting with audition, contact, interview support and professional guidance in selecting educational and career opportunities.
Codie Higer and Max Kogan in SWEENEY TODD
Luke Wehner as Potemkin in CELEBRATION
Corlesia Smith as Angel
Nick Hyland as Orphan
Patrick Mooney and Sarah Bogomolny in THE CHERRY ORCHARD by Anton Chekhov
Bryan Kravitz as Mr. Rich in CELEBRATION
Winner of the
Academy Young Artist Award 2009
as Abigail in